Sunday, December 28, 2008

I’m addicted to information

Over this lovely holiday break, I have decided to catch up on {everything}. Starting next year off with a clean to do list seems like a good idea. Before I left work for the holidays, I managed to get my inbox down to 3 or 4 items. (If you think you're one of those 3, you'd better remind me via email.) But email is just one of my problems, an antiquated one in fact.

Most of the good stuff comes in through RSS feeds. I counted them a couple of days ago: 97 feeds. They breakdown roughly into the following categories: Business, Culture, Humor, Software, Technology, Work, odds and ends. Unfortunately, many of these feeds have high update rates, like BoingBoing, LifeHacker, and the collection of work-related feeds. Even PlanetEclipse, my first RSS feed, has become a challenge to follow in my expanding list. I've already dropped several others because the signal-to-noise ratio was too low.

But I can't let go of my current list of 97. Every day I think, maybe I'll drop this one or that one, but then I pick up a new software utility, laugh at a good cartoon, find out about a cool tool, or learn something new about art/politics/technology/photography/music/whatever. And almost every day, I find YAF (yet another feed) that I think maybe I'll subscribe to…just for a little while…just to try out it. Dammit.

We have reached information saturation: Email, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, podcasts, blogs, RSS, …. (I don't even turn on my TV anymore.) Either someone needs to install one of those Matrix ports into the back of my skull, or we need to move way beyond reddit, delicious, and digg to get useful, personalized information.

Oh well. Here's to a New Year and another 100 feeds.

5 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Emanuele Ziglioli said...

You're absolutely right.
Feeds are unvaluable but there are just hundreds of them to sort out everyday.
Luckily Google Reader allows you to skip easily through the list (Next, Next, Next...) and also lets you search across your subscriptions.
It should really become more clever and let you hide some entries from aggregators like Planet Eclipse based maybe on authors or topics.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger LhasaDad said...

Amen. I have 2 sets of rss feeds, google reader and thunderbird. I actually got the backlog to zero two days ago, first time in over a year.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Sheralle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger joshua said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Sheralle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home