Wednesday, April 01, 2009

EclipseCon 2009 and git

As in past years, EclipseCon 2009 was fun, interesting, and exhausting. Thanks to Darin for organizing 4 days of early morning 3-5 mile runs to offset the food and beer!

I'm please to have made the top 10 tweeters for EclipseCon. Unfortunately, my friends on facebook (a) know without a doubt I'm still a geek and (b) do not know what the hell I do for a living. I think perhaps the twitter app in facebook is a bad idea….different community, different friends, different etiquette.

A quick summary of the conference. I owe the committers my notes from the Board Meeting on Monday and a hearty "thanks!" for re-electing me to the Board for a second term. I remain obligated to do your bidding for another year.

Speaking of which, a large part of my time at EclipseCon was focused on Version Control (#$%# campaign promise). The VCS panel was large and well attended. We needed more time, and it wasn't quite as controversial as one might have hoped. The VCS and git BoFs were much more effective, though. In the notes, you will find a raw summary of our discussion including a couple of funny webmaster quotations, and next steps for git at the Foundation. Follow Bug 257706 and all of its red-headed step-children to keep up with the developments.

Finally, I gave a sponsored talk on the Future of Mobile and Embedded in Eclipse. If you're looking for slides, you'll have to email me because I made liberal use of images from Google that surely don't fall under EPL or CC. The Pulsar folks tell me they didn't learn anything new, but for the uninitiated the slides are a good summary of the state of the industry, the projects in eclipse, and what's coming down the pipe.

Finally, there was the little matter of a certain "power point karaoke" presentation on Monday that may have left folks with mistaken impressions about me (and Scott). I can assure you that I don't grow anything, and therefore my second piece of advice to the audience doesn't apply.

7 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger AlBlue said...

Thanks for filing the bugs. Let's see how things go. I added a couple of links to the EGit proposal and the (current) google project.

One slight niggle - all the bugs have 'Windows/Vista' as their arch/os. Couldn't reset them to 'All' can you?

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Antoine said...

I guess it wasn't too controversial because I wasn't there, or I would have pushed for Denis view:
http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/eclipsewebmaster/2009/04/01/git-to-replace-cvs-bugzilla-mailing-lists-more-at-eclipseorg/

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Pachi said...

Just curious but, how so that Mercurial isn't on the table? It has a well maintained and nicely working Eclipse plugin for some time and many Java projects are using it (OpenJDK or Netbeans to say some)...

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger oisin said...

@Pachi - it's not on the table, because no-one thought to bring it to the table :) That's how these things work - some people wanted Git, made a bug, and started to get support. You could do the same for Mercurial.

@Doug congrats on board re-election!

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Doug Gaff said...

@Pachi, it's true that there seems to be a lot more momentum around git right now. Still you should file a bug for discussion if it's something you really care about.

@AlBlue, arch/os fixed.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Denis Roy said...

Heh. I think my favourite quotation is this one:

# Doug: does this parallel IP process make git more palatable?
# Denis: it makes it less un-palatable.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Doug Gaff said...

@Denis. I'm nothing if not a good secretary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home