Monday, November 16, 2009

My Next Adventure

After almost 10 years at EmbeddedSupportTools/WindRiver/Intel, I'm heading off to pursue a new opportunity. I will be joining National Public Radio as Director of Technology for Public Interactive. This Boston-based division of NPR is responsible for the web technology platform used by many of the NPR affiliate stations. NPR is a great organization with a great mission, and I'm excited to be joining their team.

For my colleagues in Eclipse who know me as the embedded and mobile guy, the leader of DSDP, the guy who's always on the EclipseCon Program Committee, or one of your friendly Committer Reps, this is clearly "something completely different" as the Monty Python crew would say. In my new role, we will predominantly be users of Eclipse rather than contributors, and as such I will unfortunately be stepping down from my leadership roles in the Eclipse community.

I want to thank Wind River for supporting my work at Eclipse and for investing in the CDT, DSDP, and Platform projects. I also want to thank the many leaders in the Eclipse community and at the Foundation, from whom I've learned a great deal about meritocracy, IP policy, coopetition, copyright, governance, collaboration, and free beer.

Please stay in touch. Follow me on twitter or connect on linked in.

16 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger Chris Aniszczyk (zx) said...

Congrats and AWESOME.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Donald Smith said...

Doug,

Congrats! I'm a big believer is shaking off the cobwebs every few years and getting your hands dirty and building some cool Applications. Will be great to have your insights as you evolve as a leader in App Development in the Eclipse community.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Eric Cloninger said...

But, but, but.... who's going to fix things when I mess them up?

I'm very happy for you and I know you'll knock their socks off. Thank you for mentoring me through the maze of Eclipse processes and especially thanks for leading our merry band of embedded projects.

Best of luck at the new gig.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Boris Bokowski said...

Congratulations, and thanks for what you've done for Eclipse and the Eclipse community! All the best for the new job.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Kim Moir said...

Good luck Doug! Your new job sounds fantastic. Thanks for all your work in the Eclipse Community.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger mark said...

Wow! Does sound like a big change. I hope you remember 'mobile' in your new job so that NPR stuff works well on my phone. :-)

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Denis Roy said...

Congrats! Your leadership in the world of all things Eclipse will be missed.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Darin Swanson said...

WOW. Very cool and congrats on stepping into a whole new world.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Scott Lewis said...

Congrats Doug. Best luck...and please remain connected to the community.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Mik Kersten said...

Big fan of NPR, but sorry to see you go Doug. Best,

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger csetera said...

Good luck in your next adventure!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Ian Skerrett said...

Doug, you have been a great contributor and leader in the Eclipse community. Thank You!

The NPR opportunity sounds great. Good luck! Maybe some EclipseCon you will come and tell us how NPR users Eclipse. :-)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Dave Orme said...

Congratulations and I wish you well, Doug!

- Dave Orme

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Ed Merks said...

Your calm thoughtful leadership will be missed.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Bjorn Freeman-Benson said...

Very cool. Congratulations!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Michael Scharf said...

Was great fun to work with you at WindRiver on eclipse!

Best luck for the new challenges...

Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home